What does the Court do?

The Court’s job is to assist in resolving disputes relating to agricultural tenancies, including matters relating to crofts. You will find examples of the types of dispute dealt with by the Court on the Jurisdiction page, and some further details about agricultural tenancies and crofts at the end of this page.

In short, the Court

What does the Court not do?

The Court has no power to deal with wider questions such as disputes over ownership of land, or disputes between owners of adjoining land as to boundaries or rights over each other’s land. (It does have power to deal with disputes between Crofters on these matters.)

The Court cannot deal with any question under the Crofters (Scotland) Act 1993 regarding succession, the apportionment of common grazings (that is, the process by which a crofter with a share in the common grazings obtains an area of the grazings for his exclusive use), or decrofting an area of croft land (that is, the process by which an area of vacant croft land is removed from the scope of the 1993 Act). (See the Crofting Commission.)

How does the Court resolve disputes?

The Court has a Chairman who has the status of a judge of the Court of Session, and a Deputy Chairman who is a sheriff. The Court is therefore well able to deal with difficult cases and disputes involving questions of law. The other Members of the Court are not lawyers. These members are chosen for their agricultural expertise, and their ability to deal with cases in a proper judicial manner.

The Court may decide that a case is suitable to be dealt with by one of the expert Members, in which case it will delegate the case to that Member. The Member will then decide the case with the assistance of the Principal Clerk. If you think that the Member has got the decision wrong in your case, you can appeal to full court. The procedure at the appeal will depend on the nature of your challenge to the first decision.

Court staff, with the assistance of Court Members where necessary, give careful attention to the best way of dealing with all disputes that come into the Court. We try to avoid undue formality and expense. Where possible, we dispose of matters in writing on the basis of written submissions. The Members will often inspect the land in question to be sure that they have a proper understanding of the nature of the dispute.

By tradition, the Court combines a proper judicial approach to resolving disputes with an ease of access to litigants. In other words, it is fairly formal when necessary in the interests of justice and fairness, but relatively informal wherever possible. It is formal at times because when important decisions are being taken, it is right that parties should know where they stand.

How do I use the Court?

You begin by making a written application using one of a number of forms designed to help parties set out clearly the nature of the case and dispute. Once your application is in, the Court staff will work out the appropriate procedure for your case and issue written instructions as to what must be done to progress it properly. You will find more information in the Using the Court section of this site.

The Court has a formal set of rules for the conduct of its business. The Rules have recently been revised with the aim of ensuring that parties and their advisers are clear as to what should happen at each stage of an application and what is expected of them, but Court staff will always be happy to provide information about procedures.

When should I use the Court?

All sorts of disputes can arise between landlord and tenant. Many are best resolved by seeking the assistance of a third party. Arbitration is similar to litigation but may sometimes seem less formal. There are also other options such as mediation, which involves a skilled communicator helping parties reach their own agreements. When exploring options, however, you should be aware that

It is up to you and your legal advisers to decide whether your case will best be dealt with by mediation, arbitration or by the Court. The Court does have certain advantages:

You should consider these points with your legal advisers when determining whether to bring your particular case to the Court, or to seek alternative dispute resolution. The Court cannot give guidance or recommendations about ADR, but we are aware that several bodies offer such services. These include, but are not limited to,

What is the basis of the Court’s powers?

The Court’s present powers are derived mainly from the Scottish Land Court Act 1993. However the Court originally came into being in 1912, and its powers and jurisdictions have been modified by various Acts of Parliament over the years since then. You will find a more detailed account on the Historical Background page.

How do I know if the Court can help me?

We hope the information on this web site will help you to decide whether your particular case would best be dealt with by being brought before the Scottish Land Court. If you are still unsure, then please contact the Court office. We will look at your circumstances, and tell you if we can help. If we are unable to help we will explain why that is so, and, wherever possible, we will let you know where you might find help.

Some comments on tenancies and crofts

In relation to the tenancy of farms in Scotland which are not crofts, the powers of the Court are controlled by the Agricultural Holdings (Scotland) Act 1991 as amended by the Agricultural Holdings (Scotland) Act 2003. The Act of 1991 provides that in respect of the more important matters arising by way of dispute between landlords and tenants such as control of the operation of Notices to Quit, it is the Land Court that has been given power to make the final decision. The Acts also confer a wide jurisdiction and wide powers on the Land Court to determine basically any dispute between a landlord and a tenant.

Although people use the word croft in a variety of popular senses, in its legal sense it relates only to units which are or have been small tenanted farms in the crofting counties. Broadly speaking, that is the area of Scotland lying north and west of a line between Nairn and Campbeltown (though there are a few crofting areas immediately to the east of that line). The Crofting Commission controls certain matters relating to crofting, but the Scottish Land Court has power to deal with most disputed issues arising with regard to croftland. You will find some examples on the Jurisdiction page, but you should consult the Crofters (Scotland) Act 1993 for more detail.